Rainbow Trout in Cranberry Dijon Sauce with Crème Fraîche Chive Mashed Potatoes & Pecan-Studded Veggies
- 12 ounce yukon gold potatoes
- ¼ ounce chives
- 6 ounce carrots
- ¼ ounce thyme
- 1 unit lemon
- 2 tablespoon crème fraîche
- 6 ounce green beans
- 1 tablespoon fry seasoning
- 10 ounce rainbow trout
- 2 tablespoon cranberry jam
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ ounce pecans
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash and dry all produce. Dice potatoes into ½-inch pieces. Thinly slice chives. Trim, peel, and halve carrots lengthwise; cut crosswise into green-bean-sized pieces. Strip thyme leaves from stems; chop leaves until you have ½ tsp. Quarter lemon.
- Place potatoes in a medium pot with enough salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Reserve ½ cup potato cooking liquid, then drain and return potatoes to pot. Mash with crème fraîche and 1 TBSP butter until smooth, adding splashes of reserved potato cooking liquid as needed. Stir in half the chives. Season with salt and pepper. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
- While potatoes cook, toss green beans and carrots on a baking sheet with half the Fry Seasoning (you’ll use the rest in the next step), a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast on top rack until tender and lightly browned, 15-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pat trout dry with paper towels. Season all over with remaining Fry Seasoning, salt, and pepper. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add trout skin sides down and cook until skin is browned and slightly crispy, 5-6 minutes. Flip and cook until fish is opaque and cooked through, 4-6 minutes more. Turn off heat and transfer trout to a plate; tent with foil to keep warm. Wash out pan.
- Heat same pan over medium-high heat; add jam, mustard, chopped thyme, ¼ cup water, and juice from half the lemon. Cook until slightly reduced, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat and stir in 1 TBSP butter until melted.
- Toss roasted veggies with pecans. Divide veggies, potatoes, and trout between plates. Spoon sauce over trout and garnish with remaining chives. Serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.