Pesto- and Avocado-Stuffed Chicken
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 package of basil (about 3 to 4 cups)
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/4 cup of shredded white sweet potato
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (or enough olive oil to brush over the entire chicken)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend the olive oil, pine nuts, garlic, basil and a pinch of salt in a food processor or blender. Ta da! You now have a very basic, homemade pesto.
- Spread out the shredded white sweet potato on a baking sheet. Bake in the over for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until at least some are crispy.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken: remove any gizzards and other internal business, rinse it under cold water, and pat dry with a paper towel. Place on the rack in your roasting pan.
- Brush the entire chicken (top, bottom and sides, but not the inside) with olive oil.
- Chop the half of avocado.
- Gently mix the avocado, shredded sweet potato and pesto together in a medium bowl.
- Using a big spoon, ladle or your hands to scoop the pesto mixture into the cavity of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the chicken with a little salt and pepper–as much as you like. Also, tie the legs closed with cooking twine.
- Roast in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes per pound, until a meat thermometer reads 175 degrees when inserted into the breast of the chicken.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Make sure you scoop out some of the sweet and savory pesto mixture from inside the chicken.
TIP: If you like really crispy skin, crank up the heat at the beginning or the end for about 10 to 20 minutes.